A Remote Outer Island Paddling Experience in the Great Bear Rainforest.
Norm Hann Expeditions is excited to offer this amazing paddling adventure to the white sand beaches of Campania Island. Campania is a rugged, stunning island that thrusts itself above Pacific waters and sits on the western edge of Gitga’at Territory and the Great Bear Rainforest. Mt. Pender, the highest peak on the island provides an incredible backdrop to the pristine, fine, white sand beaches that face westward and sit protected below its weathered ridge lines. Behind the beaches lies tangled temperate rainforest, home to marine wolves whose prints can be seen daily as they travel from beach to beach looking for food. The west side of Campania Island is one of the most remote sections of the British Columbia coastline.This is a unique paddling adventure that inspires feelings of seclusion and connectedness, with breathtaking vistas, relaxing beach explorations and hikes with days capped by incredible sunsets. The ocean ecosystem out here is supercharged with all types of marine life including foraging Humpback Whales, large colony’s of sea birds and all types of rich intertidal species. It is a stand up paddlers dream with hundred of islands, inlets and protected shorelines to explore. You will also have the opportunity with good weather to paddle some of the more rugged and exposed shorelines and reefs that face the wide open waters of Hecate Strait. The waters and lands here are charged with a different energy and provide an opportunity for you to disconnect, relax and reconnect with those things that are important in life. Our trip begins in the Gitga’at community of Hartley Bay where we will head west with our support boat towards the ridgelines of Campania Island. Join us for an incredibly immersive paddling experience and one that will stay with you for a long time.
Dates: July 27-31st, 2017
Price: $2199 + gst
Location: Hartley Bay, B.C.
Guides: Norm Hann, Sarah Glenn
Paddle experience is required.
Cost Includes the Following
- All meals from lunch on Day 1 to breakfast on day
- All local protocol and cabin/camping fees.
- 1 night cabin accommodation and three nights tent accommodation.
- Ferry from Prince Rupert to Hartley Bay return.
- Inflatable standup paddleboards, paddles and all safety gear.
- Boat assistance throughout expedition.
- 1:3 guide to client ratio
- 1 large and 1 small dry bag for expedition packing.
Price Does Not Include the Following
- Transportation between your home and Prince Rupert return.
- Personal belongings and equipment (see equipment & packing list)
- Accommodation in Prince Rupert prior to morning departure.
- Excess baggage charges.
- Any extra expenses incurred because of weather, logistical delays, or delayed departures of chartered or scheduled aircraft.
A $500 deposit is required at the time of booking to secure your place on the expedition with the balance to be paid 60 days prior to trip departure. Full payments can be made via email transfer to email@example.com, by cheque to Norm Hann Expeditions or by credit card. A 3% service charge will be added to the invoice for all credit card payments.
Cancellation 60 days prior to trip start date will result in a refund of deposit less $200. Cancellation within 59-30 days prior to trip start date will result in a refund of 50% of the total cost of the trip. There is no refund for trips cancelled within 30 days of trip departure.
This itinerary may be altered due to factors such as weather, tides, and group interest, with guides working within the parameters of safety, time, and area highlights. This standup paddleboard (SUP) trip will be boat assisted providing gear shuttle and safety support.
** You and your group must arrive in Prince Rupert prior to Day 1 of the trip. You will overnight in Prince Rupert and then get on the ferry for 8:30am in the morning.
- Ferry departure for Hartley Bay
- Afternoon departure for Princess Royal Island and Fin Island.
- Night 1: Watchman Cabin, Fin Island
- Depart for Campania Island.
- Explore North west side of Campania Island
- Night 2: Wolftrack Beach, Campania Island
- Morning Beach exploration and hike.
- Afternoon exploration of Mickmicking Inlet
- Night 3: Wolftrack Beach, Campania Island
- Day trip to south end of Campania Island
- Evening Sunset hike up to Mt. Pender Ridgeline.
- Night 4: Wolf Track Beach, Campania Island
- Pack up camp and paddle to boat shuttle pick up for return to Hartley Bay.
- 12:30pm ferry departure for Prince Rupert
Provided By Norm Hann Expeditions
- Inflatable standup paddleboard
- 1 large dry bag and 1 small dry bag for expedition packing
Participant to Bring
- booties or sandals(for paddling)
- Waterproof hiking boots
- 2 pair of socks
- 2 long sleeve synthetic shirts
- 2 synthetic t shirts
- 1 fleece top or fleece jacket
- down/synthetic jacket
- Waterproof/goretex jacket for paddling
- 1 heavy polyurethane rain jacket for boat travel and camp
- long underwear
- long hiking pants
- waterproof/goretex rain pants
Head and Hands
- 1 sun hat or ball cap
- sleep bag
- sleeping pad
- small pillow
- ear plugs
- water bottle
- thermos (for tea, coffee or hot water)
- personal toiletries
- personal medication
- insect repellant
- sunglasses/prescription eyewear
- notebook/journal/reading material
- camera, batteries
- headlamp with extra batteries
- individual nutritional requirements
Getting to Prince Rupert
You must arrive in Prince Rupert the day before the float plane or ferry departure for Hartley Bay.
Air Canada operates two daily flights into Prince Rupert and departs from YVR Vancouver.
Hawk Air also has flights to Prince Rupert and originates from South Terminal.
Accommodations in Prince Rupert
Norm Hann Expeditions reserves rooms for guests at the Inn on the Harbour. These are nice, clean, comfortable rooms with a continental breakfast included. Rooms rates are around $120 for double occupancy. www.innontheharbour.ca
Other places to stay include:
Norm Hann: Norm has been coastal adventure guiding in the Great Bear Rainforest for 17 years as a sea kayak, salmon fishing, wilderness and wildlife guide. Norm is a Paddle Canada Instructor Trainer and has been instructing and leading multi day sup expeditions for ten years. He is also trained in Wilderness First Aid and Swiftwater Rescue.
Sarah Glenn: Growing up on the West Coast and later travelling the world, Sarah finds great peace and solitude in the forests, rivers and oceans. The Lao Tzu quote, “Silence is a source of great strength” is one Sarah holds close to her heart. For the past ten years, Sarah has worked for Power To Be Adventure Therapy Society. Power To Be Adventure Therapy inspires youth and families in need of support to discover their limitless abilities through nature-based programs.