“Professional instructor training that sets you up for success.”
Norm Hann brings his lifetime of coaching, teaching and guiding experience to help you build a strong instructional and teaching foundation. Our Paddle Canada Flatwater Instructor course is an enriching, informative two day program for aspiring standup paddleboard instructors, retail and rental staff, fitness professionals and those interested in becoming effective teachers. Candidates will be assessed on their ability to organize, implement and safely run a standup paddleboard flatwater skills course.
Our course delivers teaching models and outdoor management principles that can not only be applied in your business but can be used in any other environment where training and teaching others is involved.
Date: April 29-30th, 2017
Location: Ocean River Sports, Victoria, B.C.
Price: $400 + gst
Course #: TBA
• Minimum of PC Advanced Flat-water sup skills is required or equivalent experience.
• Basic First Aid and CPR. (you can get this certification after the course)
• 16 years of age.
• Paddle Canada Instructor Candidate membership.
A minimum of PC Advanced Flat-water SUP skills course is required. Sign up for one of our PC Advanced Skills Course to confidently meet the requirements. Candidates are assumed to have a good grasp of these skills such that they could present them confidently. There will be opportunities to hone skills but this is not the venue to be learning the skills for the first time. The final assessment will consist of both land and water based activities plus a written test. Successful candidates will receive a Paddle Canada Intro to Flat-water SUP or Advanced Flat-water SUP Instructor Certification.
• Learn how to instruct effectively through planning and use of teaching models.
• Learn to clearly and confidently instruct groups in an outdoor environment.
• Develop your leadership skills and manage groups safely on the water.
The course fee is $400+gst (5%). Please contact Ocean River Sports for course registration and payment at (250) 381-4233
All new instructor candidates are required to register with Paddle Canada and pay the membership fee ($70 + gst) prior to taking the instructor course. Before being permitted to participate in this course, you must first complete your Instructor Candidate registration with Paddle Canada. To complete your registration, please follow these simple and easy steps:
Visit the Paddle Canada website
www.paddlecanada.com (or go direct to: www.paddlebuzz.ca/members/instructor-candidates.asp )
On the Members Tab, select the following submenus:
• Instructor Candidates
From here there are 2 options;
1. Current Paddle Canada Candidates VERY IMPORTANT: If you are a Paddle Canada Instructor member, have previously taken part in a Paddle Canada skills course or have received a KANAWA Magazine subscription, you should already listed in the Paddle Canada database. To retrieve your login information, or if you are not certain if you are currently listed in the database, please contact Paddle Canada for assistance: Toll-free: 1-888- 252-6292 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please enter your email and password and click the ‘Continue Registration’ button.
2. New Paddle Canada Candidates If you have never previously had contact with Paddle Canada, please complete the registration information required on the form. Please make sure that your email address is accurate and record your password; these will be your tools to accessing your Paddle Canada profile. Once complete, click the ‘Continue’ button. On the next page, enter the Course ID(listed above in the details page) number provided above and click the ‘Find Course’ button. Follow the steps to complete your registration. Once approved, return to your Paddle Canada profile using the link on the confirmation page. You will be able to monitor your progress and report status for this course simply by selecting the ‘My Certifications’ link on your profile.
**NOTE: If you do not have First Aid Certification you will need to complete within the year. For now just put 1999 01 01 and TBA to move through the prompts.
* Standup paddleboard effective for teaching
* Surf or coil leash
* Throw bag
* PFD with sound signaling device
* Warm clothing and footwear
* Immersion clothing (wetsuit or preferably dry suit)
* Water bottle or thermos for hot liquids
*If you require gear to rent for the weekend, please contact Mark Bitz at Ocean River Sports, (250) 381-4233.
Norm Hann: Norm is a Paddle Canada Instructor Trainer for Flatwater, Surf, River and Touring and has been instructing and leading multi day sup expeditions for 10 years. He is also trained in Wilderness First Aid, Swiftwater Rescue and is a qualified High School and college teacher and instructor.