We are excited to offer the River 2 Standup Paddleboarding Instructor Course as part of our SOAR Paddle Camp and is a great way to end this intensive week of learning. After five days of Swiftwater Rescue Training and technical river skills building candidates will be confident and will set themselves up for success in this two day river instructor course. This certification is designed to provide a national certification in the instruction and administration of the Paddle Canada River 2 SUP Program. The instructor course will give you the ability to safely deliver Paddle Canada River Skills courses and to provide Class I and II river runs to clients.
Dates: April 8-9th, 2017
Price: $459 + gst
Location: Squamish, BC
Paddle Canada River Instructor: Neil Gilson Norm Hann, Chad Guenter
- At least 18 years of age
- Current Paddle Canada membership and provincial or territorial
- Paddle Canada River 2 SUP skills certification, or equivalent skills or knowledge
- Experience beyond that of the River 2 SUP skills course
- Highly Recommended: Swift Water Rescue Training
Costs Include the Following:
- 2 days of dryland and on water river instruction
- Instructor Ratio: 1:6
- Paddle Canada Certification: If successful, participants can achieve their Paddle Canada River 1 or 2 Instructor certification. To receive this certification, the candidate will be required to be an existing member of Paddle Canada.
Price Does Not Include the Following
- River Specific SUP and Safety Equipment. (Rentals Available)
- Travel to Squamish
To secure you place in the course a full payment can be made by e transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org, cheque to Norm Hann Expeditions or cash. Payments may also be made through credit card but will be subject to a 3% service charge.
Training courses are non refundable within two weeks of the course start date. 100% refundable prior to two weeks of the course start date.
Day 1 – Paddling and Teaching Skills
- Course outline and expectations, administration
- Review – teaching principles, approaches and tools
- On-water River 1 skills and knowledge review
- River dynamics and paddling principles
- Hazard identification, equipment and safety briefing
- Group management and containment
- Falling/remounting/self rescue
- Acceleration – stroke cadence, tip draw, off-side stroke
- Foot positions, edging and weighting
- Front Ferry – use of pivot turn principles
- Eddy turns – eddy out, peel out – use of pivot turn principles
- On-water River 2 skills and knowledge review
- Fore and aft, side-to-side weighting
- Jet ferry
- River surfing
- River Running
- Using the river to your advantage – route planning and decision making
- Paddling fin-less
- Group management
- Debrief paddling day
- Individual and group teaching assignments
- Individual and group preparation time.
Day 2 – Candidate Teaching Day
Candidates are responsible as individuals, and as a group, for the delivery of Paddle Canada River 1 and River 2 Skills course curriculum throughout the day as assigned previously.
- Introduction, questions and expectations,
- River 1 – curriculum and session overviews – what are you going to present, how and why?
- River 1 – course and session delivery by candidates
- On-going evaluation and feedback – morning debrief
- River 2 curriculum and session overviews
- River 2 course delivery
- On-going evaluation and feedback – afternoon debrief
- Instructor team debrief
- Individual evaluations.
Provided By Norm Hann Expeditions
RIVER SUP RENTAL PACKAGE – $99 Board, Paddle, quick release leash, throw bag, Type III or V PFD, helmut. Ask us about our specific gear pricing if you do not need all of the gear.
Participant to Bring
- Inflatable river specific paddleboard
- Adjustable paddle ( no carbon)
- Safety PFD TYPE III or V
- Drysuit or wetsuit
- River appropriate shoes or neoprene booties
- lunch, water, snacks
- 15 litre dry bag
- phone and waterproof case
- pen and notepad
Location: Squamish, B.C.
Squamish is a stunning mountain and ocean town and is the perfect base for our River Instructor Course. Day 1 of our course begins at the Sun Wolf River Side Cabins.
Norm Hann Expeditions has set up corporate pricing at Garibaldi Executive Suites and Sun Wolf River Side cabins, ask about our discounts.
Neil Gilson of Bearfoot Performance Paddling is currently a Paddle Canada Flatwater and River SUP Instructor Trainer and SUP Touring Instructor. Over a 30-plus year paddling career, Neil has served as a whitewater canoe and rafting guide, ocean kayak guide and stand up paddle instructor on waters throughout western Canada including Nahanni, Gwaii Haanas, and Pacific Rim National Parks, the Yukon and Northwest Territories, and the mountain and foothills rivers of the Canadian Rockies. Neil brings a lifetime of all-round, on-water paddling experience, technical analysis and coaching expertise to share with beginner through to advanced SUP paddlers, and instructor level candidates.
Norm Hann is a Paddle Canada Instructor Trainer for surf, touring, river and flatwater. He is a coastal expedition guide and has been leading people from around the world for the last seventeen years in the Great Bear Rainforest on multi day sup expeditions and wildlife tours. He is also a former high school teacher, college instructor and university basketball coach who has been involved with teaching, coaching and instructing for most of his life.
Chad Guenter, of Soul Flow Paddle Co, is a Paddle Canada River Instructor and an Rescue Instructor for industry leader Raven Rescue. Chad has a wealth of river and guiding experience and instructing in dynamic conditions. Chad brings his in depth swift-water rescue teaching experience to this course by providing a safe learning environment and incorporating safety principles and self rescue to the itinerary.